Navigating Separation Without Marriage in Massachusetts: Property Division, Child Custody, and Financial Considerations

Separating from a long-term partner can be a complex and emotionally challenging process, especially when there is no formal marriage involved. In Massachusetts, couples who have lived together in a committed relationship but never married may face unique legal considerations when it comes to property division, child custody, and financial matters. At Briones Law Group, we specialize in family law and divorce matters, and we’re here to provide guidance and support for individuals navigating separation in Massachusetts. In this article, we’ll explore how to manage property division, child custody, and other financial considerations when separating from a partner in a long-term relationship but never married.

Property Division

In Massachusetts, property division laws for unmarried couples differ from those for married couples. Without a formal marriage, couples are not subject to the state’s laws governing marital property and equitable distribution. Instead, property ownership is determined by the legal principles of ownership and contribution. This means that property acquired by one partner in their name alone is typically considered their sole property, while jointly owned property is subject to division based on each partner’s contributions.

Consider a scenario where a couple has lived together for several years in a jointly owned home in Massachusetts. While both partners contributed to the mortgage payments and household expenses, only one partner’s name is on the deed to the property. In the event of separation, the property may be divided based on each partner’s financial contributions and ownership interests. However, without a formal agreement in place, disputes over property division can arise, leading to costly and contentious legal battles.

Child Custody

Child custody arrangements for unmarried couples in Massachusetts are based on the best interests of the child. When parents separate, they must create a parenting plan outlining custody and visitation arrangements for their children. If parents cannot reach an agreement, the court may intervene and establish custody and visitation rights based on factors such as the child’s relationship with each parent, their living situation, and their needs and preferences.

Financial Considerations

Unmarried couples who separate must also consider financial matters such as spousal support (alimony) and child support. In Massachusetts, there is no legal obligation for one partner to provide financial support to the other after separation unless there is a written agreement or court order specifying otherwise. However, if the couple has children together, the non-custodial parent may be required to pay child support to the custodial parent to help cover the child’s expenses.

In a scenario where a couple separates after many years together, one partner may seek financial support from the other to help cover living expenses and maintain their standard of living. Without a formal agreement in place, disputes over financial support can escalate, leading to legal battles and financial hardship for both parties.

Consulting with an Attorney

Navigating separation without marriage in Massachusetts can be complicated, and it’s essential to seek guidance from an experienced family law attorney who can help you understand your rights and options. An attorney can assist you in negotiating property division, developing a parenting plan, and resolving financial matters through negotiation or litigation if necessary.

If you’re facing separation from a long-term partner in Massachusetts, contact Briones Law Group for experienced legal guidance and support. Our dedicated team of family law attorneys is here to help you navigate the complexities of separation and protect your rights and interests.

Email us
close slider

Get A Case Evaluation

We are happy to provide a consultation to all first time clients.

Please complete the form below and we will contact you.

Call Now