Injured on public property?

After a winter storm, your risk of a slip and fall drastically increases due to an accumulation of ice and snow. It is the responsibility of a business owner to properly remove snow from their sidewalk and parking lots. However, you may be wondering: what if a slip and fall occurs on public property?

If you are injured on public property, the process of bringing a claim against a town or city is different than that of a business. According to G.L.c. 84, §§18-21, you have 30 days to notice the city or town of your injuries. Notice of the time, place, and cause of the injury should be given, as well as the name and place of residence of the injured party. Additionally, under this statute a maximum claim that can be brought against the city is $5,000. If you do sustain an injury on public property, make sure that you report your injuries as soon as possible.

Email us
close slider

Get A Case Evaluation

We are happy to provide a consultation to all first time clients.

Please complete the form below and we will contact you.

Call Now